Vintage jewelry is a style that never goes out of fashion. It’s timeless and elegant and adds a unique touch of character to any outfit. In this guide, we’ll explore the appeal of vintage jewelry, the different types available, where to shop for them, and how to style them to elevate your fashion game.
The Appeal Of Vintage Jewelry:
Vintage jewelry is more than just a piece of jewelry – it’s a piece of history. Every vintage piece has a story behind it, a history different from your own. Vintage jewelry is from anywhere between 20 and 90 years ago, so it probably looks a little different from what you typically wear.
The jewelry has more character and unique aspects to them. Vintage jewelry is also an investment. Sometimes that means you have a more fragile piece or a piece that you have to be extra careful with; either way, it’s an investment of time and money.
Lastly, think about sustainability- the ability to buy slightly used pieces instead of purchasing new jewelry is part of the “thrift it” movement. This year’s Oscars “Champagne Carpet” featured many of our favorite celebrities embracing sustainable fashion with vintage jewelry pieces.
So instead of buying a new piece, buy something vintage with a history like no other.
Types Of Vintage Jewelry:
There are many different types of vintage jewelry to choose from, including:
- Vintage Rings: Need that something “old” for your wedding? Imagine getting an amazing engagement ring from the 1920s. The old has become the new, with vintage engagement rings becoming a new trend.
- Brooches: The brooch is back! The flower pin that your grandma used to put on her church coat is back on trend.
- Vintage Necklaces: Picking that beautiful 50-year-old diamond necklace instead of a brand-new diamond necklace has become a common choice.
- Vintage Earrings: Remember clip-on earrings? People are wearing them again. Choosing those over new pierced earrings seems to be everywhere!
Where To Shop For Vintage Jewelry:
Shopping for vintage jewelry can be a fun and rewarding experience, but it’s important to do your research and ensure that you’re buying from a reputable seller. At Charles Schwartz & Son, we have over 100 years of experience, and we sell all types of vintage jewelry.
We also make a point of understanding the history behind the pieces. Whether it be a cool story of a ring, where that ring is from, or how old the ring is, we want to make sure you know the history of your “new old” piece. Designer or not, our vintage jewelry is top-notch, and we love to talk about it!
Styling Vintage Jewelry:
Styling vintage jewelry is a great way to add a touch of elegance and personality to your wardrobe.
There are three main ways we recommend styling your new vintage jewelry:
- Make the outfit around your vintage piece. If you have that show-stopping piece, let it stand out. You don’t want your vintage pieces to be overshadowed by your outfit.
- Pin it. With brooches, pendants, or charms, you might consider mixing it up and pinning your vintage jewelry. Either to a jacket, purse, headband, or belt, attach the vintage jewelry somewhere where everyone can see it.
- Decide whether you want to layer with other pieces. Some pieces need layering. Don’t be scared to layer your vintage charms, bracelets, and necklaces together.
- Be creative! The best outcome tends to come when you put stuff you wouldn’t think together. Try to mix and match and you might be surprised!