Sapphires are one of the most popular alternative gemstones for engagement rings in DC. Whether you’re born in September or not, these stones are a beautiful alternative to diamonds.
Engagement Rings in DC: 5 Interesting Facts About Sapphires
- The word sapphire is derived from the Latin and Greek words for “blue”: sapphirus and sappheiros, which may have originally referred to another type of blue stone called Lapis Lazuli.
- Sapphires are among the most durable naturally occurring elements in the world. Gemstones are rated a score of 9 out of 10 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness. The only natural item that can scratch a sapphire is a diamond. The durability of sapphires makes them an excellent choice for engagement rings and other jewelry you plan to wear every day.
- Sapphires are associated with royalty and romance. The association was reinforced in 1981, when Britain’s Prince Charles gave a blue sapphire engagement ring to Lady Diana Spencer. Her sapphire ring helped link modern events with history and fairy tales.
- When you think of sapphires, you probably think of a rich blue color, but sapphires actually come in almost every color of the rainbow!
- Sapphires are found in many places throughout the world, including Australia, Thailand, Cambodia, Malawi, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, the United States and more.
Read more about the sapphire gemstone here.
Shopping for Your DC Engagement Ring
At Charles Schwartz, we have a wide selection of engagement rings to choose from. From diamond bands to metal bands and from diamond center stones to sapphire center stones, the opportunities are endless.
For over 130 years, we have been helping people find the perfect engagement ring.
Let the oldest jeweler in DC help you find the perfect engagement ring in DC. Contact us today >